Like all good habits, strong oral hygiene habits and routines are usually established in childhood. From regular trips to the dentist to brushing and flossing, introducing children to the benefits of practicing good oral hygiene and preventive dental care will set them up for healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime. Dr. Minda Sapir and Dr. Shabtai Sapir offer general and pediatric dentistry services for the entire family at Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry in Norfolk, MA.
Pediatric Dentistry in Norfolk, MA
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, you should take your child for their first dental exam when the first tooth erupts, or by their first birthday. Despite the fact that primary (baby) teeth are temporary, they still need to be cared for like permanent teeth to prevent tooth decay and dental problems in the future.
How to Get Your Children Excited About Oral Hygiene and Dental Care
Getting your children excited about brushing their teeth and flossing is the first step in making a good oral hygiene routine stick. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Buy them a toothbrush that they will love to use, and replace it every few months on a regular basis
- Teach them how to floss and proper brushing techniques by using yourself as an example, and make it an event that you do together so that they will look forward to the activity every day
- Buy age-appropriate toothpaste
- Schedule dental checkups for the entire family at the same time if possible to help ease anxiety about going to the dentist, and to establish a routine
- Encourage them to eat healthy snacks and to keep up with their brushing and flossing routine by creating fun incentives that make it feel more like accomplishing a goal than keeping up with a chore
Find a Pediatric Dentist in Norfolk, MA
For more oral hygiene tips and preventive dentistry services for the entire family, contact Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry by calling (508) 850-6992 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Minda Sapir or Dr. Shabtai Sapir.