Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Dental anxiety should never prevent you or a loved one from getting oral health care. At Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Minda Sapir and Dr. Shabtai Sapir offer sedation dentistry to relieve fear and make you completely comfortable. We encourage our Norfolk, MA, patients to learn about this helpful service.
The problem of dental phobia
Phobia, fear, or terror. However you describe it, dental anxiety prevents almost one-quarter of adult and pediatric patients from getting the oral health care they need. This startling number comes from Harvard Health which also reports that many people stop dental visits altogether because they are so fearful.
Dental phobia crosses all socioeconomic measures, including age, ethnicity, and income. Most fearful people report a problem due to:
- Shame over the condition of their teeth and gums
- Limited ability to sit still in a dental chair
- Traumatic experiences at dental offices
At Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry in Norfolk, MA, we offer sedation dentistry options that allow patients to feel at ease. Also, our office is comfortable and our patient care, soothing and respectful. Dr. Minda Sapir and Dr. Shagtai Sapir put their patient's health and well-being first in all they do.
Sedation dentistry options
Here's how we can help:
1. Local anesthetic: Your dentist injects numbing medication right where it's needed. If you require a filling, extraction, root canal, or something else, your procedure will be pain-free.
2. Nitrous oxide or laughing gas: Administered to children, teens, or adults via a facial mask, nitrous oxide relaxes you, even making you feel a bit giddy. You still will be awake and able to respond to directions from your dental team.
3. Oral sedation: This medication is in pill form. Typically a tranquilizer such as Valium or Versed, oral sedation makes you drowsy you may nap during your treatments. After your appointment, an adult friend or family member must drive you home.
4. IV sedation: Administered through a needle in the arm, intravenous sedation also confers drowsiness. During your treatments, your dentist may increase or decrease the medication as needed. You will feel at ease and may drop off to sleep. An adult must take you home.
5. General anesthesia Some dental treatments are complex and lengthy and can be painful without the benefit of sedation. So, Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry offers both in-office and in-hospital general anesthesia. You'll wake up with a new smile.
Find out more
At Norfolk Family & Pediatric Dentistry, we specialize in helping people overcome dental anxiety. Let us assist you, too. Phone our Norfolk, MA, office for a consultation with Dr. Minda Sapir or Dr. Shabtai Sapir regarding sedation dentistry needs for you or a family member: (508) 850-6992.